About icare hbcf

icare hbcf

In January 2015, the Home Warranty Insurance Scheme (HWIF) had been renamed as the Home Building Compensation Fund (HBCF). This name change reflects the function of the Fund as the consumer protection regime for homeowners undertaking residential building projects in NSW where the contract price exceeds $20,000. 
icare (Insurance and Care NSW) was created in September 2015 through the commencement of the State Insurance and Care Governance Act. icare is a Public Financial Enterprise governed by an independent Board of Directors that delivers insurance and care services to the people of New South Wales. The HBCF, Self Insurance Corporation (SICorp) along with other like agencies such as the Workers Compensation Nominal Insurer, Lifetime Care and Support, Sporting Injuries Compensation and the Dust Diseases Authority have joined icare. 
More information is available at www.icare.nsw.gov.au
What does the HBCF do?
The HBCF provides a safety net for homeowners who have contracted residential building work and their builder has been unable to honour commitments under the building contract due to insolvency, death or disappearance. The safety net is also provided where the builder’s licence has been suspended for failing to comply with a Tribunal or Court order to pay compensation to the homeowner. HBCF insurance is required to be obtained by all licensed contractors for most residential construction projects over $20,000, with some types of construction exempted, E.g. new high-rise buildings.
For homeowner general enquiries click here.  For homeowner claims click here.
Aside from providing compensation, the HBCF assesses building contractors' eligibility to obtain cover. Eligibility is the term used to describe the entitlement that a builder has to apply for a Certificate of Insurance for home building project, and the conditions under which the Certificate of Insurance may be granted. A Certificate of Eligibility means that a builder has been granted the entitlement to apply for job-specific / project-specific Certificate of Insurance within the approved number and value of projects under construction. Builder enquiries and applications for insurance are to be made through an approved distributor (insurance broker).
To view Approved Distributors list click here.  For builder eligibility enquiries click here.
Where can I find out more information?
The Home Building Act 1989 regulates the cover required and service standards of icare hbcf. For further information about the Insurance and Care NSW visit the website www.icare.nsw.gov.au.   
Detailed information on the operation of the scheme is available at www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au. Fair Trading also provides a link between the building dispute resolution and HBCF insurance. For further details click Lodging a complaint also available in the footer of this page.
Contact information for HBCF can be found at the link here.  


References on this website to builders and building work include and apply to work undertaken by trade contractors and other building contractors such as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, swimming pool builders etc.